2020-21 Christ the Teacher Award
Everything our teachers do is about bringing the light of Christ’s Gospel to their students. They are called to let the joy of our faith shine through the gifts and talents they bring to their classrooms every day. I am so grateful that we have a devoted and faithful staff and encourage our families to reach out to our teachers with a note of “thanks.”
Each year, BDHS and other diocesan schools celebrate a teacher who has performed the following criteria with outstanding accomplishment:
- Modeling Christian values
- Student motivation
- Involvement in extra school activities
- Knowledge of content
- Rapport-Relation with students
It is with great joy and pride to announce this year’s winner of the Christ the Teacher Award (formerly the Light of Learning): Christy Maloney.
Mrs. Maloney teaches all choral classes, AP music theory, and directs our talented and award-winning show choirs. She oversees and co-directs our school plays, musicals, and coordinates our liturgical choir.She is also the chairperson for BD’s Performing Arts Dept. Mrs. Maloney received many nominations with glowing accolades from her students, parents, and colleagues. Here is a sample of statements made about Mrs. Maloney:
- She strives to instill a sense of responsibility, professionalism, and pride in her students
- She always makes us feel wanted and motivated
- Never a dull moment when she is around
- She reminds us to pray. She takes the show choir to Mass every Friday during the season
- Mrs. Maloney is an exemplary Christian model
- She earns our respect because she is incredibly hard-working and desires the best for her students and performers
- You can tell she loves being around her students
- We need more teachers like Mrs. Maloney
Congratulations, Christy Maloney!!
The Christ the Teacher Award is sponsored by Quality Dining. Quality Dining (owned by the Fitzpatrick family) operates many Burger King and Chilis restaurants around our diocese, as well as other locations outside of Indiana. The Fitzpatrick family, through Quality Dining, have supported our Catholic schools for the past 30 years, raising much-needed funding primarily through their Burger King Coupon Books, and sponsoring the annual Christ the Teacher Award and luncheon during Catholic Schools Week.